Friday, August 7, 2009

Tracking Down Unlisted Cell Phone Numbers


A few years ago, I attended an important networking event where I was able to connect with several incredibly important business contacts. One of these was someone who had published several successful books on business strategies, and as such, had an unlisted home phone number. I was told this when I was given the number and was always careful to make sure I didn't misplace this information. They had told me to look them up if I was ever in the market for a new job, and while I wasn't at the time, it certainly served as a huge confidence boost!

Fast-forward two years, and while I hadn't misplaced the phone number, I did experience the unthinkable. My PDA (along with my entire briefcase) was stolen, and along with it went the contact information I had so carefully protected for two years. Around this same time, I was told my job would be eliminated at the end of the year as the result of company downsizing and I'd need to find a new place to work. Having that phone number would've finally come in handy and now I didn't have it!

I assumed I was doomed as the number was unlisted. I wouldn't be able to just open up one of the phone books on my desk and track this person done after a quick search for their last name. I checked, just to see if something had changed over the last few years, and no....this person's number was still unlisted and not in the phone book.

I even tried a general web search, which gave me tons of great results about this person's background but still didn't get me any closer to the information I was hoping to find. After a few other searches, I stumbled upon the tool that's been invaluable to me ever since. Searching unlisted phone books is something that can be done online and finding the phone number I needed was easily done in seconds.

I had no idea websites like http://www.phonebooks.com existed. I always knew that searching for phone numbers was something that could be done online but the ability to actually search for an unlisted phone number in a phone book was a service I didn't know existed. I didn't even realize there was such a thing as an unlisted phone number phone book! Since this discovery, I've used this tool several times to reach out to other business contacts as well as personal friends I'd lost touch with.

I can credit this unlisted number phone book search for saving me a lot of embarrassment and securing me a new position in a job I love. While my story may be unique, the need to find private information like this isn't. Save yourself the hassle I went through and use these tools when you need to track down numbers not found in your standard Yellow Pages.


No comments:

Post a Comment